Ethics in Publishing Statement [pdf]
All material submitted to Midsouth Entomologist for publication must conform to the highest scientific and ethical standards. Scientific material (Research Papers and Reports) must be original research or original overviews of a topic area. Special Features must be wholly original in content.
Midsouth Entomologist will not accept any material that:
- Has been published elsewhere, in whole or in part, including the author(s)'s website;
- Contains language, data, results or conclusions identical to or paraphrased from previously published (or submitted for publication) papers, even from the same authors, except as described below;
- Is currently being considered for publication elsewhere;
- Has not been agreed to by ALL authors as being wholly original, scientifically sound and an accurate description of the work conducted; or
- Contains information that is protected by confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure agreements, state or federal privacy laws, or the like.
Written permission to use quotations
Any material, published or unpublished, not produced by the authors for the present work (or not in the public domain), including quotations, figures, tables, artwork, etc must be accompanied by written permission from the appropriate source (such as the copyright holder). This includes material produced by any of the authors for another publication or purpose. The source of any such material must be clearly cited in the manuscript. Submit permission letters with the initial material. Any manuscript that violates this requirement will be rejected and the authors subject to the appropriate penalties.
Papers resulting from previously published data
When a manuscript is generated from previously published data, the manuscript must add new information (e.g. data collected from the same study following initial publication, such as a follow-up report) or differ substantially in the interpretation of the data (e.g. improved statistical analysis that alters previous conclusions). When previously published data is reported, the source must be cited.
Authors should use no language that might imply gender, ethnic, or any other kind of discrimination or bias. Manuscripts in any stage of production that violate these guidelines will be rejected.
Penalties for Violation
Ethics violations will result in penalties, including immediate rejection/retraction of the article (the article will be deleted from the website if already published), a two-year ban extending to the author and ALL co-authors from publication in Midsouth Entomologist, and the institution(s) sponsoring the author(s) will be notified of the violation.